The Nee brothers, along with Oren Uziel and Dana Fox, co-wrote the screenplay for The Lost City, an American action-adventure comedy movie from 2022 based on a Seth Gordon story.
Sandra Bullock and Channing Tatum play a romance author and her cover model, respectively, who must flee from a billionaire Daniel Radcliffe and locate the lost ancient city mentioned in one of her books.
Brad Pitt, Stephen Lang, and Da’Vine Joy Randolph all make brief appearances in the movie.
The Lost City Movie Plot Summary
“The Lost City” isn’t a really original movie; its premise is borrowed from “Romancing the Stone” and a tonne of other action flicks.
The volcano that dominates the isolated island where the majority of the story takes place serves as one of its punchlines, making it visible from a distance. From the very beginning, you can tell what kind of movie it is, with every major beat being very evident.
But there is a great deal of delight and comfort in all this familiarity. Like a good romance author might, directors and co-writers Adam and Aaron Nee know exactly what their audience wants and produce an absolutely entertaining love adventure.
This is a movie you can watch with popcorn in the cinema and then repeatedly online while sipping wine.
Great work is done in “The Lost City” in examining the growing chemistry between Bullock and Tatum’s characters. In particular, Alan’s emotional intelligence and constant support are shown in the film.
Despite the fact that he calls Loretta a “human mummy,” he is aware of the fact that she needs snacks and could use a pair of shoes that are a little bit more practical for navigating the uneven terrain. Alan is a man who cares in addition to being a lovely man, like many adored romantic heroes.
Tatum is an excellent choice for this role on a number of levels. In addition to having the appearance of someone who belongs on the cover of a romance novel, he is also a performer who is aware of his own attraction and has repeatedly shown that he isn’t afraid to play it for laughs.
Bullock is also more than happy to play into the physical awkwardness of her character and the gradual peeling of her prickly demeanor; it’s also not exactly uncharted ground for her.
The couple exudes a playful and endearing feeling of warmth that is simple to fall in love with.
The Lost City Movie Cast Members
- Sandra Bullock plays best-selling romance author Loretta Sage, who is both successful and miserable.
- Bullock additionally portrays Dr. Angela Lovemore in her book series.
- Channing Tatum portrays Dash McMahon, the protagonist of Loretta’s book series, as well as Alan Caparison, a moronic cover model for her book The Lost City.
- Daniel Radcliffe plays Abigail Fairfax, a bizarre billionaire and wanted felon who defies the law to kidnap Loretta in the belief that she can direct him to a lost treasure in an ancient city that is mentioned in one of her writings.
- Publishing company Beth Hatten is played by Da’Vine Joy Randolph.
- Rafi, an island native and one of Fairfax’s men, is portrayed by Héctor Anibal.
- Julian, Fairfax’s violent henchman, is portrayed by Thomas Forbes-Johnson.
- Oscar, a peculiar cargo plane pilot, is played by Oscar Nunez.
- Allison, Loretta’s social media manager, is played by Patti Harrison.
- Brad Pitt plays human tracker and action man Jack Trainer.
- Ray, the conference’s moderator, is played by Bowen Yang.
- Beth’s grandma, Nana, is played by Joan Pringle.
- In addition, Stephen Lang appears as the fictional antagonist created by Loretta, as does Raymond Lee as Officer Gomez, Adam Nee as Officer Sawyer, and Stephen Lang as the fantasy villain.
The Lost City Movie Reviews and Ratings
The movie’s acceptance rating is 79 percent based on 245 reviews, with an average rating of 6.4/10. The Lost City doesn’t gleam nearly as brightly as some vintage treasure-hunting capers, but its stars’ screwball chemistry makes this movie well worth romancing, according to the website’s critical consensus.
The movie has a 60 out of 100 weighted average rating from 52 reviewers at Metacritic, signifying “mixed or mediocre reviews.”
While other viewers gave the movie an 81 percent good rating with 61 percent indicating they would certainly recommend it, audiences surveyed gave the movie an average grade of “B+” on a scale from A+ to F.
“It’s unfortunate that The Lost City isn’t more ambitious because the Pygmalion and Galatea tale might be richly riffed on by a woman who writes her ideas into reality.
The Lost City is still a copy of a copy while Steven Spielberg’s direction in Raiders and Romancing make sincere attempts to transcend their sources.” The Lost City is a passable action-comedy that depends on the presence of its actors.
The Lost City Movie Grossed Collection 2022
The Lost City has made a total of $189.7 million globally as of June 24, 2022, after grossing $105.3 million in the United States and Canada and $84.4 million in other countries.
The movie, which debuted in theatres with Infinite Storm and RRR in the US and Canada, was expected to earn $20–34 million in its first weekend from 4,228 locations.
The movie made $11.5 million on its opening day, including $2.5 million from preview screenings on Thursday. It then went on to earn $30.5 million in its opening weekend, surpassing The Batman to take the top spot.
After A Quiet Place Part II, it was the second-largest opening for Paramount during the COVID-19 pandemic. The movie fell to second place at the box office behind Morbius after earning $14.7 million over the course of its second weekend, a 52 percent decline.
The movie made $3.7 million in its debut weekend from sixteen overseas markets outside of the US and Canada.
Bullock joined as producer and star, Tatum joined in December, and the rest of the cast was revealed the following year. The project was first announced in October 2020. From May to August 2021, the Dominican Republic served as the location for filming.
On March 12, 2022, the movie had its South by Southwest premiere. On March 25, 2022, Paramount Pictures released the movie in theatres across the country. Despite having a $68 million budget, it has made over $189 million globally.