Based on Austin Wright’s 1993 novel Tony and Susan, Tom Ford wrote, produced, and directed the 2016 American neo-noir psychological thriller film Nocturnal Animals.
The movie stars Michael Sheen, Laura Linney, Andrea Riseborough, Isla Fisher, Jake Gyllenhaal, Michael Shannon, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, and Amy Adams. The story follows an owner of an art gallery as she reads a new book by her first husband and starts to notice connections to their previous union.
Nocturnal Animals Release Date
On September 2, 2016, Nocturnal Animals made its international premiere at the 73rd Venice International Film Festival. The movie was also shown on September 9, 2016, at the Toronto International Film Festival, and on October 14, 2016, at the BFI London Film Festival.
On November 18, 2016, the movie opened in theatres there.
Nocturnal Animals Awards and Box Office Collection
On October 5, 2015, principal photography commenced in Los Angeles. Focus Features distributed the movie in North America on November 18, 2016, following its world premiere on September 2, 2016, at the 73rd Venice International Film Festival.
Over $32 million was made worldwide, and the film got favorable reviews that praised the acting of Shannon, Adams, Gyllenhaal, and Taylor-Johnson.
Nocturnal Animals made $10.7 million in revenue in the United States and Canada, $20.5 million in other nations, and $31.2 million globally.
On December 9, 2016, the movie received its North American wide release, with a $3–$5 million opening weekend forecast. It ended up earning $3.2 million and came in seventh place.
Nocturnal Animals earned the Grand Jury Prize at the 73rd Venice International Film Festival, where it was chosen to compete for the Golden Lion.
At the 89th Academy Awards, Shannon received a nomination for Best Supporting Actor. In addition, Taylor-Johnson won the Best Supporting Actor Golden Globe Award and garnered nine BAFTA Award nominations, along with nods for Best Director and Best Screenplay.
Nocturnal Animals Plot Summary
In the first scene of Nocturnal Animals, Susan is dealing with frequent absences made by her oblivious, unfaithful second husband Hutton (Armie Hammer).
It gives a relief from her unfulfilling life when Susan unexpectedly receives a novel manuscript from Edward called Nocturnal Animals, which also happens to be his nickname for her. Susan quickly becomes engrossed in the plot and finds herself losing track of time.
While traveling across Texas with his wife, Laura (Isla Fisher), and their daughter, India, Tony Hastings (also Gyllenhaal) comes into conflict with Ray (Aaron Taylor-Johnson), Lou (Karl Glusman), and Turk (Robert Aramayo) (Ellie Bamber).
The men capture Laura and India when Tony is forced off the road, and he later discovers that they have been raped and killed.
A year later, Ray escapes capture because Roberto “Bobby” Andes, the local investigator, has only a little evidence linking him to the crimes, according to Michael Shannon.
Lou is shot dead by the Andes after trying to run when Tony and Andes decide to take matters into their own hands by kidnapping Lou and Ray. Although Tony chases Ray on his own, the movie naturally has a few twists and turns left in it.
Nocturnal Animals Cast Members
Real World Cast Members
- Amy Adams plays Susan Morrow, a prosperous Los Angeles resident and owner of an art gallery.
- Edward Sheffield, Susan’s estranged ex-husband, and the author are portrayed by Jake Gyllenhaal.
- Armie Hammer portrays Susan’s second husband, Hutton Morrow, who has neglected Susan.
- Laura Linney plays Anne Sutton, Andrea Riseborough plays Alessia Holt, and Michael Sheen plays Carlos Holt.
- Bobbi Menuez (also known as India Menuez) plays Samantha Morrow.
- Zawe Ashton plays Alex, Sage Ross is played by a receptionist.
- Neil Jackson plays Christopher.
- Samantha Van Helsing is played by Susan’s assistant Kristin Bauer van Straten.
The Novel Cast Members
- When Ray Marcus’ gang forces Tony Hastings, a driver who is on vacation with his family, off the road, Jake Gyllenhaal plays Tony Hastings.
- Michael Shannon plays the loyal investigator Bobby Andes for a neighborhood police force.
- Aaron Taylor-Johnson portrays Ray Marcus, the gang’s vicious leader.
- Laura Hastings, Tony’s wife, is abducted by Ray Marcus’ group and played by Isla Fisher.
- India Hastings, Ellie Bamber’s portrayal of Tony’s daughter who is also taken hostage with her mother,
- gang member Lou Bates is played by Karl Glusman
- As Steve “Turk” Adams, a gang member, Robert Aramayo
- Lieutenant Graves is played by Graham Beckel.
Nocturnal Animals Ending Explained
Ray is forced to confess to his misdeeds as Tony follows him to the hut where Laura and India were murdered. Despite Tony shooting the offender dead, Ray strikes him in the head with a fire poker, blinding him.
After successfully bringing the assailant of his family to justice, unfortunately, Tony trips outdoors and mistakenly kills himself by falling on his own gun.
Susan considers the differences between Edward’s scary account and their prior relationship once she is back in the real world. Despite Anna’s conservative mother’s objections, the couple married after falling in love in college.
However, their marriage quickly became tumultuous as she battled to finance his fledgling writing career. In the end, she had an affair with Hutton, dumped Edward, and wed Hutton.
When Edward learns that she secretly had an abortion while carrying his kid in order to avoid having any relationship with him, their attempts at reconciliation are crushed.
Nocturnal Animals Conclusion Scene
Susan plans to meet Edward at a local restaurant after she has finished the text. He doesn’t appear, though, leaving Susan alone to continue thinking back on her past.
Edward was obviously using his own tale to get some of the hurt he felt after losing his ex. With plot twists meant to keep viewers guessing until the very end, it’s a gripping drama about the risks associated with the stories we tell ourselves to cope with suffering.
Which is worse, having to spend hours alone in a restaurant because of your ex, or reading a terrible story written by him? I’ll leave the solution to one more enigma up to you.