The FIFA World Cup, which is the biggest sporting event on the planet, is coming to a close. On Sunday, France and Argentina will play in the final, which will be the most important game of the tournament.
In the first semi-final, Lionel Messi helped Argentina beat 2018’s runners-up, Croatia, by a score of 3-0. In the other semi-final, France beat 2018’s runners-up, Morocco, by a score of 2-0, ending Morocco’s fairy-tale run at the World Cup.
🇫🇷France is the 1st team to reach 2 consecutive World Cup finals since Brazil in 1998 & 2002.
— FIFA World Cup Stats (@alimo_philip) December 14, 2022
The final match between defending champions France and third-placed Argentina will be a rematch of the Round of 16 matches from the last World Cup, in which Kylian Mbappe helped France win 4-3 after falling behind.
Argentina and France have played each other in the World Cup three times, in 1930, 1978, and 2018. The first two times they played, in 1930 and 1978, they were in the group stages, and Argentina won both times. However, France’s win in Russia was the first time they played in the knockout stage.
Let’s Look Back To The 2018 World Cup Match Between These Two Teams:
- In the 13th minute, Kylian Mbappe made a fast 75-yard run that led to a penalty. Antoine Griezmann scored France’s first goal by putting away the penalty.
- Angel Di Maria scored with his left foot past Hugo Lloris and into the top corner in the 41st minute to tie the game for Argentina.
- Three minutes into the second half, Gabriel Mercado scored a lucky goal with a flick of the ball. This put Argentina ahead 2-1.
- After 57 minutes, France’s Benjamin Pavard tied the game with a beautiful half-volley from the edge of the box.
- After seven minutes, Kylian Mbappe made a great move to put France back in front. Mbappe scored a great goal after Paul Pogba’s shot was blocked in the box.
- Mbappe won the game for France with a second goal in the 68th minute. He took advantage of Giroud’s nice touch and finished in style.
- Sergio Aguero‘s header in the last few seconds of the game gave France a scare.