Teachers of higher education institutions do not often assign students an independent assignment to perform an abstract of a scientific article. Therefore, many do not realize to the end how to perform it and meet all the requirements. If you are too worried that you can’t cope with such an assignment, you can contact a professional paper writer to get expert help with essay writing or editing. To explain in detail the process of implementing scientific essay, let’s analyze the main problems of its writing.
What is a scientific article abstract?
The abstract for a research paper is a summary of the main essence of the given work. It is obligatory to emphasize the goal setting and the results achieved by the paper author, as well as those tasks and methods by which a particular problem was solved.
There are different types, such as:
- indicative – is performed in the form of a summary and includes in the structure only the essential conclusions of the scientific work. You should remove the indirect and not essential information. The student must be able to highlight the main idea and cut off the unnecessary;
- an informative abstract is structurally executed as an outline. The student must go deep enough into the essence of the problem, and realize and process the information. In some cases, the study of several sources and materials is required. This type of abstract is formalized in the form of an exposition, it is not allowed to exclude any point of content. It is desirable to use illustrations.
Purposes of abstracting
The main objectives of this type of work:
- To learn how to analyze information and perceive the scientific style. To highlight the main idea and convey it to the reader in the most concise form;
- It is an opportunity for the student to practice. If in the future will engage in scientific research and write a dissertation, master’s, or Ph.D., he will have to compile an abstract. It is a brief retelling of a master’s or Ph.D. thesis. And it is so called because it is compiled on its work.
For interested readers, it is an opportunity to get the necessary information about research in a particular field. Thus, beginners and experienced scientists have to process a large amount of information to isolate the necessary information. This is where abstracts come to the rescue.
There are even abstract journals that contain only such publications. Thanks to them it is possible to keep abreast of the latest world research and discoveries in various fields of science.
How to write an abstract of a scientific article
To write an abstract on a topic that is assigned by the professor in a particular discipline, it is necessary to follow the recommendations:
- read in detail a publication from a scholarly journal. It may be necessary to read the work several times and not to start work immediately, but to try to penetrate as deeply as possible into the essence of the issue under study;
- if the text or the author’s idea is not completely clear, it is recommended to study the accompanying articles. To do this, look at the list of literature, to which the author refers. It will contain materials that will help the student;
- Avoid trivializing or rewriting material or parts of it.
As for the structural content, here are the issues that must be disclosed in a mandatory manner:
- Introductory part. Reflects the main idea, which combines the theme and problem of the work, the set goal, and the subject of further research;
- Characteristics. Conducted mention whether the article was made independently or by a team of authors. Emphasis is placed on whether it is theoretical or experimental;
- An issue with an analysis of how the scientific world views the subject and what viewpoints exist on the topic;
- composition part. Statement of the main essence of the scientific work. It is the most lengthy section, in which the essence and the methods used should be stated;
- The result that has been achieved. It is necessary to emphasize what value it has – theoretical, practical, experimental, or other. This point is given special attention since for the sake of it all the work was carried out.
Here the student must analyze the conclusions of the author and necessarily give his conclusions. They must be made out in paragraphs, in the form of all the same conclusions.
To maintain a scientific style of presentation, it is recommended to use phrases such as:
- “The article is devoted to the topic…”;
- “In the work the analysis of…”;
- “The author conducts research devoted to…”;
- “Structurally and logically the work can be divided into main sections…” and so on.
Experts recommend the use of template phrases that can greatly facilitate the work of the student who has no experience in writing such texts.
This type of work is of particular value for undergraduate and graduate students, who will have to write a significant number of scientific articles and theses.